Say you are in Italy. Say you want comfort food. You know, the kind of food that feels like “hugs on the inside”, all warm and tasty and makes you feel drowsy and contented after consumption… What do you choose? Why carbonara of course…
You might notice it doesn’t look very liquid. That’s because it isn’t. Carbonara isn’t what most people think it is… It doesn’t use any cream.
Just eggs, bacon, garlic, black pepper, pecorino cheese and of course pasta.
1. Prepare the water for the pasta and get ready to salt it and chuck the spaghetti in. You know the drill.
2. Beat the eggs (2 per person is about right) with a healthy dose of pecorino and black pepper.
3. Start to heat the pancetta or bacon bits over a flame. You can add a drop of olive oil if you want but I tend to find it isn’t needed.
4. Chop the garlic and add to the pan with the bacon. When the garlic begins to brown, take off the heat.
5. When the pasta is cooked al dente drain it and chuck it in the pan with the bacon and garlic. Stir, ensuring the ingredients are evenly spread.
6. Pour the egg mixture over the hot pasta and stir vigourously. You may need to turn the flame back on briefly.
Serve with copious amounts of black pepper, pecorino cheese and scrummy red wine!
With love, from Italy
3 Comments Add yours
One of my favorites…I make it for the kids with veggie bacon but they don’t mind and can’t eat enough of it. If you have finicky eaters for kids, this recipe tends to be a great way to sneak a bunch of calories into them.
Such a quick dish to prepare but oh so delicious.
Yes, the simplest things are the best aren’t they?